It is unknown when the first Jews settled in Zwierzyniec. Andrzej Trzciński, in his book Śladami zabytków kultury żydowskiej na Lubelszczyźnie (By the footsteps of Jewish landmarks of the Lublin Region ), writes that at the end of the 16th century individual Jews held leases for the inn and the mill in Zwierzyniec. Progress in Jewish settlements in Zwierzyniec dates back to the XIX century. Originally, Jews from Zwierzyniec were dependent on the kehilla in Szczebrzeszyn, and in the time between the wars they created their own kehilla .
Right after Zwierzyniec became occupied by the Nazi army, local Jews underwent a series of repressions.
For example, they were used for forced labor for road construction. It was obligatory to wear an arm band with the Star of David. Every day, they faced persecutions and force. Even the smallest infractions resulted in executions (at the Jewish cemetery or in the Borecki forest). The fulfillment of the annihilation plan began in the fall of 1942.
Halina Matławska, in her study Zwierzyniec,
describes those tragic days: "In October of 1942, as a part of the Operation Reinhard , the extermination of the Jewish people began. In Zwierzyniec, it took place on October 21 st . Jews were shot in their homes and in the streets; those who were not killed were rounded up into a marching column and walked off to the railroad station in Szczebrzeszyn. From there, the journey to the Belzec concentration camp began."